Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Week 1: McDaniel College

Here we are again, first game of the season coming off a disastrous season one year ago. The night before I stayed off campus just so that I can eliminate distractions and get the quiet time to study my playbook and do what I have to do to win this game. Our team this year is much more mature and stronger than the Bearcats of last year and we are playing an opponent that we can definitely compete with, McDaniel College. I am in the locker room starting to suit up as I get my right thumb taped up and listen to my favorite warm-up music, Musiq Soulchild, just to relax my mind and get me loose and calm before the game. We all huddle up and pray for luck in this game, asking that our Lord and Savior watches over us. As we take the field and see our opponent the tempo is turned up and no longer is the team loose, but instead angry. We are so angry that you can feel like you want to go out on the field and just make mothers nervous for their sons.

The first kickoff is up and in the air and the game is on its way. Not only was I ready to take the field but I can see our offensive line just staring at our opponent and not taking their eyes off them, knowing that they are not going to get beat today. I get the play and break the huddle. In my stance I am analyzing everything about my opponent; his stance, his leverage, his eyes, just to read what kind of player he is and what I can predict he is going do this play. The first snap in off and just like the first play the entire game was the same way, we lost……

No comments: