Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Week 3: Westminster College

Deep in the game against Westminster College we were down by 21 points going into the 4th quarter. They were a solid up front team and I could just tell that they were starting to rally over us, which is one of the worst feelings in any sport. It felt like the team was standing in quick sand and no matter what we did something turned wrong for us and we sank farther and farther. Even with my big touchdown early in the game, 2 interceptions later and 2 quick scores for them sealed the deal. Even though we stuck in it until the end, coming back and only losing by seven, the game was over and the pressure of a losing program was on our backs yet again. I know this morale bruiser was going to be hard to overcome for the next week against Waynesburg.
The locker room was quiet, the showers were quick and the bus ride was long. No one really talked because such an attainable win was shot down and no matter how much I want to, we can’t go back and beat that weak team that should be feeling what our team and me personally is feeling right now. Even the kids who didn’t play didn’t say much because they felt the pain the rest of the team is feeling right now. The combination of the sickness from that game and the pain of a separated shoulder I took near the end of the game prevented me from eating the cold pizza in front of me and also prevented me from going out that night because it didn’t feel right to celebrate something that doesn’t deserve such an occasion. Instead I went back to my room put my head down on my bed and stayed there until the next day when a new chapter would begin.

No comments: