Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Week 8: Geneva College

Last year at this time I had to be carted off the field from the biggest hit I have ever taken from a cheap free safety that took an illegal hit to my head, and that ended my season with a massive concussion. Going into this game all I could think of was the hit I took, and just about the whole year I remained injury free, which in previous seasons was my major down fall. Their starting all conference tackle came back this game from an injury that kept him out the whole season until this point, and just as I guessed he was on me. The battle between me and him continued the whole game and for the most part he couldn’t hang with me. Laying it all out on the field the whole game, coach came up to me and asked if I was up for running 614 fire, the same play I got injured to one year ago. I had no fear, every play I go out on the field fearless because when you show fear that’s how you get hurt or that’s how you lose respect by the opposing team. My pre-snap read showed that the play should be a success and that I could have a chance to score on this play. The play was off and the ball was in the air, a little high but very catchable. As soon as the ball hit my hands, once again I took a hit that felt like it did a year ago, except this time was different. Once I caught my breathe I heard to crowd go nuts just like it did last year, only this time the crowd was in my favor. The ball was in my hands and I my head didn’t hurt. I didn’t score but 2 plays later we did, once again another big play from 82 that lead to a score. We didn’t lose again, but we didn’t stop fighting which is a big improvement. We walked off the field sad, but for some reason it didn’t hurt this time.

No comments: